Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai, is involved in various charitable and philanthropic activities for more than 100 years.
One of the oldest activities of Math is education of poor girls in the backward areas of North Madras. Swami Ramakrishnananda, a Direct Disciple of Bhagawan Sri Ramakrishna started the National School (Primary School), Mint, in 1906. The Vivekananda Centenary Girls’ High School, Mint, was started in 1962 to enable the Primary School students to continue their education upto 10th Standard. In the year 2008 the High School was upgraded to Higher Secondary School (upto 12th Std), so that any girl student can study from Pre-KG to 12th Standard in this School.
The present Scenario
Sri Ramakrishna Math Vivekananda Centenary School now has 900 girl students. A recent survey revealed that nearly 85% of the students are socio-economically underprivileged, their parents being mostly labourers working in the Mint area of Chennai. Some of these students hail from poor families without even electricity at home. The school provides the necessary ambience and facilities to the students which they lack at their homes, including basic facilities like sanitation and pure drinking water facilities. After the school was upgraded to Higher Secondary in 2008, it has been equipped with science laboratories and a computer centre. The good education and other facilities provided by the school attract students from even faraway localities in Chennai.
Apart from the very nominal annual fee as fixed by the Government of Tamilnadu, we do not collect any other fee or donation from the students. And for some needy students we exempt even this nominal fee.
Student’s Family Income – Survey
The survey shows that majority of the parents earn around INR 6000.00 per month with almost no money spared for Girls Education.
Student’s Family Employment – Survey
- Students within first three ranks in the public examination of 10th Standard are exempted from paying any fees when admitted into the 11th Standard.
- Students securing more than 400 marks out of 500 in the public examination of 10th Standard are awarded cash prize of Rs 1000/-.
- SIVAKAMU – JAYARAMAN VIDHYAA VISHARADA NIDHI – offers cash awards of RS 37,500/- for the three best students – topper each from Science and Commerce group, and second best student from either stream for their excellence in the 12th Govt Board Exams.
School Developments Through Donations
The following are some of the recent infrastructural and service enhancements implemented in 2012 and 2013 with the generous financial support of philanthropists:
- Golden Jubilee Block to provide more classrooms.
- Computer Lab for teaching Mathematics through audio-visual methodologies.
- Generator for uninterrupted power supply.
- Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Plant to provide pure drinking water.
- Renovation of toilets to provide better sanitation facilities.
Appeal For Financial Help
The school runs with partial financial aid from the government for classes up to 10th Standard. The Higher Secondary Section (11th & 12th Standards) is completely self-financing. Partial aid and nominal fees are inadequate to meet the huge operating expenses (running to several lakhs of rupees) of the school.
In order to ensure smooth functioning of the school and provide quality education through infrastructural development and maintenance, we appeal for liberal donations from friends, well-wishers and philanthropists like you. Donations however small are welcome.
How You Can Contribute
- Sponsor the education from 6th to 12th Standards (7 years of education) for a student by donating INR 48,000.00.
- Sponsor the extra-curricular activities of the School.
- Create general endowments
- General Donations.
Those who want to volunteer their services may visit the Volunteers page.
Donations Can be Through
1. Cheques/DD drawn in favour of Sri Ramakrishna Math Vivekananda Centenary Girls’ Higher Sceondary School
2. Donate Online: Click here
Please clearly mention the purpose for which the donations are intended. Send the Checque/DD to School or Math Address (click here for address).
Donations are eligible for tax exemption under Section 80 (G) of the Indian Income Tax Act 1961.
May the blessings of the Bhagawan Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda be ever on you and your family is our prayer.