Tamil Literary Association
The Tamil Literary association performs its functions every year in a grand manner. The aim of the association is to identify the oratory and other individual skills among the students and encourage them. Every year the association carries out its activities under a working committee that is formed with teachers and student representatives. During the functions, the association arranges talks by distinguished guests and prominent orators for the benefit of the students.
During the year, the association arranges the following competition:
- Thirukural recitation
- Tiruppavai, Tiruvembavai recitation
- Competition on Bharathiyar songs
- Children day Drawing competition
- Kamaraj Drawing competition
The students also participate in the other inter-school competitions like
- National Youth day competition
- Bharathi function competition conducted by P.A.K. Palaniswamy Hr.Sec. School
- Sri Krishna Jayanti competition
Every year prizes are being awarded by North Chennai Ayyan Thiruvalluvar association for students securing the first three places in the X standard public examination Tamil language.
English Literary Association
The aim of the association is to bring out the talents and abilities of the students enabling them to compete in the fast growing world. The association conducts competitions – Oratorical, Essay writing, Recitation of the Sayings of the Holy Trio, Quiz, and Fancy dress. The students participate in these competitions enthusiastically and the winners are awarded prizes as an encouragement. This year, being the Golden Jubilee Year variety of programmes were organized. The association celebrates national functions like Independence Day, Children’s Day and Republic Day. Students render thrilling speeches about national leaders followed by cultural programs like singing devotional songs and classical dance during these functions. Students are trained for the inter-school competitions by the association. This enables them win prizes and bring laurels to the school.
English Literary Club
English Literary Club provides an opportunity for the students to exhibit their talents. Competitions like Quiz, debates, Essay and Oratorical are held every year by the club in the school. The students are also trained for such competitions at the inter school level. During the class these activities are carried out to bring out the potential in each and every student. For important events, a Chief guest is invited and students are motivated and grasp innovative ideas from the speeches made. Special training is provided to bring out the communication and eloquence skills of the students.
The Science club activities are held every month. The science teacher gives option to each of the student to choose a topic of their interest on a rotational basis. The selected topic would then be discussed with each student providing her input to the discussion. Working models and group activities would be done by the students under the guidance of the teacher. The minutes of the discussions are recorded and stored for future reference. Science club activities help the students to bring out their hidden knowledge helping them gain experience for their future.
The Mathematics club is the place where students learn and explore mathematical concepts and verify mathematical facts through a variety of activities. Students of Class VI to XII participate in the activities of the club that includes monthly quiz competitions and puzzles. Exhibitions will be conducted in our school campus. Maths Projects are assigned to students based on the syllabus. Students are encouraged to collect information about great Mathematicians. Every student involves in the activities of the club and gain experience for their future.
Heritage and Social Club
The Heritage and Social club carry out the following activities every year:
- Collecting ancient cultural heritage samples like coins, pictures of ruins of Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa cities.
- Collecting pictures of ancient popular temples and make an album of it.
- Preparing models of temples and important cities.
- Conducting debates and oratorical competitions on topics of our Cultural Heritage and how to preserve them.
- Pictures of environmental pollution and how to control them are collected and paste them as charts.
- Conducting mock elections for school pupil leader as well as class leaders on the basis of our countries election process methods i.e. secret ballot system.
- To create awareness in the young minds, students are asked to buy useful things by saving money given to them by their relatives, parents on the eve of the festivals, birthdays etc.
- Activities are given to students to prepare models/pictures of natural calamities like avalanches, Tsunami, flood, earthquake etc.
- Students are asked to make the models of renewable resources like windmill; model globe, collecting various countries currencies, names and their current exchange rate viz. Indian rupee.
- Albums are prepared on National leaders, First President to current President, First Prime Minister to current Prime Minister, Social Reformers – their works, important sayings etc.
The school Eco club plays an important role in creating environmental awareness amongst the future generation. The school coordinators have been working tirelessly to improve the challenging environmental conditions. The coordinators and club members have undertaken various environmental friendly activities including
- Solid Waste Disposal
- Help in Pollution control
- Work on prevention of the storage water
- Planting trees
- Create awareness to stop wastage of water
- Bring about friendly approach, attitude and interest of the people towards environment improvements
- Educational trips are arranged to Bio-Diversity exhibition organized by Environment and Forest Department (Science Express)
- Environmental related inter school competitions and debates are arranged under this program.
- Celebrate festivals like World Environment Day, World Population Day, World Ozone Day, Van Mahotsav, etc.
- Activities like making paper bags and discourage use of plastic bags.
- Educate students to create awareness among public to stop the indiscriminate burning of waste which causes respiratory diseases.
The main theme of Guides is ‘Learning by Doing’. The purpose of Guide is to develop inherent potential of the young people by providing them a number of structured activities and make them physically, mentally, emotionally, socially and spiritually strong and useful citizens to the nation.
Guide encourages team work through the patrol system. Each patrol is a small group of six to eight guides. One among them is their leader while others play indispensible part. This forges friendship, provide scope for self expressions and promote joint and individual responsibility.
The aim is achieved through a combination of activities offered at the unit level. Our ‘Vivek Guides’ consist of 32 guides who participate actively and serve effectively in all the school functions fulfilling the aim of the Guides namely to do qualitative, quantitative and visible way of work.
Junior Red Cross
The main objectives of Red Cross society are – Health, Service and Friendship.
In our school, about 90 students are registered as members of the Junior Red Cross. Teachers Smt. S.Saraswathy, Smt. T.Saroja have been trained in Red Cross. The students perform admirably during the Independence Day, Republic day, School day, Sports day, Holy Trio day functions organized by the school. About 90 students participate in the one-day training camp conducted by JRC. Some of the salient achievements of our school Red Cross are listed here:
- Teacher K.Meenakshi obtained the certificate participating in the 2004 councilor training
- The school JRC has been selected as the ‘The Best School’ among the schools in the North Chennai district.
- On 11.08.2008, the school was awarded as ‘The Best School’ as a part of the 59th Geneva Convention day conducted by Kerala Vidyalaya High School.
- On 10.08.2009, K.Gomathi IX A, was awarded the first prize in English Oratorical from North Chennai as a part of the 60th Geneva Convention day conducted by Kerala Vidyalaya High School. Sri Ravi, North Chennai district Educational officer awarded the prize.
- Our teacher Smt. S. Sarawathy was presented with a certificate and an award for her ten year outstanding service at a function held in Bentick Hr. Sec. School on 10.08.2010
- Certificate of merit were awarded to 30 students and Participation certificate to 60 other students on 26.11.2010 at the Junior Peer Education Programme conducted by IRCS, Egmore.
- Our teachers Mrs. Y.Vimal and Smt. A.Nithiyavathi participated in the councilor training programme conducted at the Bharat Scouts & Guides campus on 8.11.2010 and were given certificates.
- Our student L.Jayasudha, X-A, was presented with ‘Bharat Student’ award on 9.08.2011 at M.C.C Hr. Sec. School.